Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith founded Hotmail in the year 1996 in California. It was one of the first web-based email services found on the internet. In 1997, Microsoft took over Hotmail for $400 million dollars. In 2011, Microsoft decided to rename Hotmail as Outlook. Since then, Hotmail has been used as Outlook.com. It is now available in 106 languages catering to the needs of more than 400 million users from all around the globe.
The outlook is just the revamped look of Hotmail. The outlook is a combination of all the popular and user-friendly tools available in Hotmail with a few additional features. It came into implementation from the year 2012.
The reason why Hotmail changed:
There are a lot of reasons behind the transition of Hotmail to Outlook. Some of them are as follows:
- Initially, Hotmail was available only on computers which had access to the internet. With its up-gradation to Outlook, it is now accessible from other electronic gadgets like smartphones and tablets as well.
- In the 21st century, social media sites have gained enormous popularity. Establishing a connection between the social media networks and the web-based email services have become the need of the hour. While Hotmail could not link the accounts with the social medial networks, Outlook is designed for that purpose. It can work as a stand-alone application as well as in combination with other Microsoft Services.
- It includes all the user-friendly tools that were popular in Hotmail like, Calendars, Task List, Focused Inbox, Contacts, and many others. These services are now named as Outlook Mail, Outlook Calendar, Outlook People and Outlook Task.
- It is supported by the latest versions of popular web-browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, etc. This was not available in Hotmail.
- Implementation of a powerful Spam Filter is one of the most attractive features of Outlook. Hotmail had faced a lot of criticism due to its inability to sort spam. There had been a lot of complaints from the Hotmail users regarding the cluttering of their inbox with spam. Hotmail’s reputation also suffered because of this reason. Outlook had strictly focused on building the best spam protection software for its users.
- Another reason towards creation of Outlook might be the growing ill-repute of Hotmail. Changing the name might have helped Microsoft to gain back its reputation and present Hotmail in a new form to the world.
Overall the transition of Hotmail to Outlook can be considered as a successful one. Outlook contains all the user-friendly interfaces of Hotmail along with a few additional features of its own. Microsoft has also converted all the Hotmail accounts automatically into Outlook. It means that people with the domain name as @Hotmail.com can also get access to Outlook.